Public Advocates and Guardianship lists / Boards Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   

These government Agency Sites can have useful information.

If your parent is having difficulty gaining services or support Advocates can often assist to advocate on your parents or your behalf.

Office of Public Advocates and Guardianship Boards
May have information on, and how to apply for,

  • an Advocate to be appointed. or
  • A Financial Administrator. This can be a responsible family member
  • Or A Guardian. This can be a responsible family member

and info on making a,

  • Power of Attorney
  • Enduring Powers of Attorney (for some one to act on behalf of a person, at a time in the future, when the person is no longer unable to make their own decisions).
  • Medical Powers of Attorney
  • Guardianship
  • Reviewing above Documents / Orders

For people with impaired decision making ability (with disabilities illness or mental illness). (Or for people likely to become impaired in the future).

Consult a solicitor, or Legal Aid Office for advice re above. Your local solicitor can advise you re making above declarations and documents.

The following are links to Office of Public Advocate and Guardianship Lists / Boards in Australia. Please Note Laws and Regulations vary in each state, and sites and information may change.


Office of the Public Advocate - Victoria

Guardianship List - VCAT Victoria

New South Wales

Office of the Public Guardian

The Guardianship Tribunal

South Australia

Office of the Public Advocate (OPA) - South Australia

Western Australia Guardianship, Administration and Advocacy - Western Australia

Guardianship and Administration Board - Western Australia

Public Advocate - Western Australia

Northern Territory

Office of Adult Guardianship


Guardianship Board Tasmania

The Public Guardian

Some thoughts on above.
You may need to consider who in your family is the best person to take on responsibility for making financial or legal decisions or even decisions for instance regarding where a parent resides. (This person could already be performing this role. Having his/her role formalised or another to take on the role or specific tasks and have the role designated is important particularly when relating to statutory authorities and organisations).

Enduring Power of Attorney generally means that your parent can select in advance now (when legally competent to do so), the person they wish to take on and make decisions on their behalf for the inevitable time in the future when they are no longer able to make decisions for themself.

If a person parent has not got that capacity to make decisions, then it is often necessary to make application on their behalf, to the above authorities ( Guardian Boards) to make an order to appoint some one to act on behalf as a financial advocate or guardian. This needs to be a person who is recognised that they will act in the best interests of a person with mental illness or disability. Boards may appoint a variety of people. It may be a family member friend or government body or authorised organisation.

If you feel that some one is not acting in the best interests of the person with an illness or disability consult the above organisations and authorities. In most Australian States, Guardian Boards have authority to appoint new administrators or guardians where necessary or to review and revise arrangements.


Jarvis Walker     Arlec

You can help NNAAMI by purchasing one of the products below:

© 2001 National Network of Adult and Adolescent Children who have a Mentally Ill Parent
Tax Deductable Reg Charity. Inc.Vic. AOO33733N ABN 41 286 047 141

N.B. All items on this site remain the property of NNAAMI. Permission is granted to duplicate and distribute any items on this site for school student purposes only provided you acknowledge the source. However, written permission is required for any reproduction or for reproduction in public forums / conferences presentations.


Contact Us


You can help NNAAMI by giving a dontation.


Featured Articles

The 'Forgotten People'

by Anna Malbon from the Progress Press October 22, 1996

WHEN nine-year-old "Tom" was asked to draw a picture of himself with his mother be drew her trying to strangle him.

Tom entered the world of adults too early. If he was ever immune to the complications and pain of life that adults try to shelter from children, he says he can't remember.

Bulletin Board

Crazy as a Fox

"I always feel unaccepted, never good enough or deserving of love, I have major trust issues"

"I always thought it was just me"

What a relief to read your stories! It's only since I've read them that I see what an impact living with my sick mother has had on every aspect of my life. She has never been diagnosed. "Crazy as a Fox" is a term made for her. She is brilliant and outsmarts every professional that may diagnose and help her. I think she has borderline personality disorder, narcissism, ocd and she is without a doubt a hoarder. I live in the US. Today I received a letter saying that Indian child welfare has received a report about my family. My mother has contacted them 12 times in the last 8 years. I have been investigated 5 times for my parenting choices and each time have been found a loving, competent mother. I filed a restraining order against her 2 years ago because she called the police demanding to see my children while they were in day care. She showed up at my daughter's school every day last week. I allow her limited visitation with my children because she talks badly about me to them and is inappropriate and basically crazy. She told my younger son that she would love him more but I won't let her. Other members of my family have told me for years to cut her her completely out of our lives. This past June I let her stay in my home the entire month because she had no where else to go and yet she's telling my daughter's teachers that I don't allow her to see her grandchildren. I just turned 40 and it should be obvious to me that she will never be a mother to me. In her eyes I'm not her daughter but her enemy. In my heart I want a mom! Someone who has my back no matter what, who will help me and support me and help me raise my kids. I too have issues that I think stem from a lifetime of living with a sick woman. It is almost impossible for me to say no. Although I have a fulfilling life with awesome support n beautiful children I always feel unaccepted, never good enough or deserving of love. I have major trust issues. I think it's time for me to cut her out of our lives before she breaks us. Good luck to you all and thank you for sharing your stories! I always thought it was just me