Written by Administrator
Tips for Parents with a mental illness for managing life with Children and Young people.
- Be honest with you kids.
- Let them know when you are feeling stressed.
- Talk to them about what you can and can't do.
- Don't wrap your kids up in cotton wool.
- Let them do 'kids things' within reason, let them go to birthday parties and to the pool to the gym.
- Let them go to youth groups, sporting activities, church, religious activities.
- Don't be over protective.
- Because when you are really unwell these positive experiences from these things can pay off.
- Let them talk to friends and develop friendships in these activities; you have to let them be part of their community.
- Keep well by taking your medication, have regular contact with your psychiatrist.
- Give your kids positive reinforcement.
- Tell them they have done a good job when they have done the washing up or the vacuuming or a task that you appreciate.
- Tell them that you love them, unconditionally, as often as you can.
- Does not matter what they do (your kids), good or bad, tell them that you love them.
By Joanne a parent with mental illness,...in consultation with NNAAMI.
- NNAAMI suggests you Write A Family Management Crisis Plan, NOW. See the Standardised Plan you your family and the children can download from here
- SUBMIT your TIP for Other Parents to Read on this Page. Write to us about ways you have been able to be a good parent for your kids. If you are a parent with mental illness you can send us your thoughts, strategies or Tips on managing life as a parent with mental illness, about ways you have been able cope and be positive as a parent with mental illness for your kids.
- 'Behind the Mask' Video tailor from PANDA Post and Antinatal Depression Association Inc. can be viewed at http://www.panda.org.au/resources/panda-resources/dvd
Have you got more Tips for Parents or any more suggestions? Email NNAAMI. Please write including the subject line